Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sewing Projects

Okay, I'm finally taking a couple of minutes to post some sewing pictures. I have to say, I'm still really excited, and nervous, about sewing. First I finished a dress for my granddaughter. It said "quick and easy," but it was not! And I forgot how hard it was to turn corners on linings, especially one so small! I did read some hints from http://sewing.patternreview.com/ and decided to do a few things different that the pattern stated. I'm glad I did! I made a few small mistakes, but overall I think it turned out really cute!

I made the matching bloomers, but they were way too big! I read that on the review site, but since I had already bought the material I figured I would try. I didn't bother putting the elastic in! Maybe she can wear those when she's older. But I did decide to make-up a headband to go with it. I thought I had a picture on this computer, but I don't. I'll have to post that later. But when I do, you'll see that the dress is really more of a purple than this magenta color!

Next, I decided to make a pair of pajama pants for myself. I did it with a nice, silky material. It feels great, but it was slippery to work with and I realized I had an old needle on my sewing machine as well. Also, that I should have altered the pattern (I'm short!) before I cut the material instead of cutting off a lot at the bottom. But that said, I'm happy with the way they turned out!

I went out and bought some slightly stretching black material to make a matching top, but I didn't buy black thread. I figured with the box of thread that I have had for years, black would be one of the colors. Wrong! So, I need to go out this weekend and get that. So, in the meantime, I just received two patterns in the mail and I actually already bought material to make the skirt. I'll probably be starting that tonight. I also have three more patterns coming in the mail (maybe today?!), and material for some of those as well. I have so many ideas and things I want to make! And the more I read the pattern reviews and new blogs, the more ideas and excited I become! I'm also trying out some new sewing/craft podcasts. I found one I like so far, and one I really don't. I've tried two episodes, and I'm moving on to the next one now as I type!

No comments: